Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Assessment of the "Project"


Once the car was delivered I did an initial assessment. What I found is more hacked wiring on the car, presumably by the previous mechanic, more wiring that had been chewed up by critters (explains why almost no lights on exterior of the car are working). Those very same critters also chewed through the belts. The good news is that I picked up a new engine wiring harness off eBay over the winter so rather than trying to put the wiring back together I am just going to replace it. In addition I discovered that the alternator was completely frozen up, and that the water pump is leaking. I had expected the replacement of the water pump considering how long the car has been sitting -- although I can't say I relish the job. I also expect that I am going to have to replace the clutch master cylinder, and slave cylinders for the very same reason.

The good news is that the with a new Optima red top battery I just picked up the engine turned over easily. I only turned it over for a second because I know the fuel system is fouled and is going to need some work. So my worst nightmare of a frozen engine did not come to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment