Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lights!

I now have rear lights. The rear harness for the lights was really chewed up by some animals that once made this car home. All of the ground wires were severed, both side marker lights were completely severed, and some other wires were also chewed in half. I soldered each connection and then covered each repair with heat shrink tubing to provide some extra strength to the repairs. I am very happy with the result, and with a new harness from DMC costing $279.71, and these repairs costing about $15.00 and some of my time, it was definitely the right way to go. I did my best to some what match the color of the wires I was splicing, but the hardware store only had red, black and white wire. Fortunately most of the wire I was replacing was red or black.

Here is an image showing the repair to the right hand rear marker light, you can see the color matched wiring along with the heat shrink tubing bridging the splice. I need to open up the right hand side tail light, because it is not lighting up, but it may be something as simple as a burned out bulb. After checking the right hand tail light with my digital multimeter I am sure that it is getting power, so I am sure it is not a problem with the wiring.

I plan on ordering a rebuilt fuel distributor and warm up regulator this week, so once those come in I should be able pretty close to attemping to start the car for the first time. In the mean time I plan to keep working on the wiring, because only a single door light on my passengers side is currently working. It is most likely just some burned out bulbs and corroded connections, but I need to take a look and find out. I also need to re-assemble the fuel tank, which now that I have all of the parts should be relatively straight forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment